...is a poem by Langston Hughes. Which sort of fits the circumstances. Today, it means, I, too, blog about America's new president. I, too, am pleased that he won. Though I would have preferred Hillary. I'm pleased that he won, because he's intelligent and smart. Because I think that, as he said in his speech, change has now come to America. I think he's the first of a new kind of leader, and I'm especially happy that Sarah Palin doesn't come anywhere near the White House.
But I seem to be the only person who gets uneasy listening to his speeches. Even during the Primaries, whenever I heard him speak, my unease kept growing. And it had the same feeling again today when I heard his victory speech. I felt that the first part was very moving indeed - but then uneasiness kicked in again. Am I really the only one who cringes at sentences that appear to me as declamatory and overloaded with adjectives? Or who gets suspicious at sentences like 'It can't happen without you, without a new spirit of service, a new spirit of sacrifice'? Or who thinks that the Ann Nixon Cooper story was a tad over the top?
To me, his speeches don't feel inspiring, but rather like a sermon. But eventually it's actions that count, and I'm looking forward to the change that he'll bring.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment