Friday, August 22, 2008

Friendship 1.0 vs Friendship 2.0 - how are you staying in touch?

Last Sunday, it was my dad's sixtieth birthday. Instead of throwing a big party, he invited some of his closest friends to a tiny little holiday spot in Bavaria (honestly, I didn't know there was a place in a country as densely populated as Germany that is so far away from civilization) to celebrate. While we were spending all this time together, I realized that even I have known some of these people for about twenty years (no age comments please...!).

This made me think about friendships nowadays. There is my very bestest friend, with whom I've been best friends since seventh grade. We have contact regularly, but not very frequently, but she still is and always will be the one person who really gets me and whom I trust completely. Other than that - it's getting difficult. My friends are all over the place - and with the place I mean this planet. Thankfully no one has ventured any further yet ;-). So the ways of keeping in touch are sort of limited to occasional (but lengthy) phone calls, email, and any other possibilities that our web-two-dot-zeroed world grants us. We just don't have a lot of face time, and right now, I miss it.

Anyway - I think I'm going to write a lot of emails and call lots of people next week. I mean, it is fabulous to have friends in so many places after all, and I've just resolved to be a bit more active keeping in touch.

2 comments:

@EmVicW said...

If it wasn't for Skype and Facebook and IM I would be a lot more homesick right now.

And this week I am homesick enough as it is!!

MetroTextuel said...

Hopefully miss!!! That's why we are in touch ;-)