Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Holiday rituals, part one...

Yes, I’ve been lazy updating my blog – I know, I know. The reason for that is that first of all, nothing really happened. I mean, I had a three weeks holiday – did you really expect something blogworthy to happen there? Also, I was so busy doing nothing that I just didn’t have the time to write something (excuse number two). And I wasn’t even around (excuse number three)!

As every year, I spent a week in South France with some friends to soak up some sun. It was really wonderful – lovely weather, good food, nice company, daily trips to the beach, got a nice tan. Apart from the major fight I had with the husband. We have to have at least one of them during each holiday. This time, for maximum effect and holiday spoiling (ours and that of our friends), we waited until the last day. At least that spared us the ‘I’m flying home tomorrow’ drama. So the timing was not so bad after all.

And as we had done enough fighting for the time being, we didn’t even have to have the window seat/aisle seat discussion on our flight back - a ritual we perform religeously in the beginning and at the end of every holiday, especially when long haul flights are involved. It always follows the same dramaturgy. Husband likes the window seat. I like the aisle seat, as I can’t sleep on a plane, and I don’t want to wake everybody up in the middle of the night when I’d like to get up. But husband wants to sit next to me, which means I’d have to sit in the middle seat. Off goes the fight. We usually end up with me in the aisle seat and him in the window seat. And yes, I do have pity for the poor person in the middle seat, who has virtually no chance to escape our conversations (which aren’t always pleasant, at least not during the first two hours of the flight).

When I've finally arrived and settled, I perform my daily workout called 'Follow The Sun Deckchair Hopping'. I love to lie in the sun and read, daydream, listen to music or simply just sunbathe. I know I shouldn't do this with the ozone hole and all, but as soon as a bit of shadow falls on me, I move to another deckchair, back into the sun. Which means I'm kind of an evolved version of the German tourist, 'reserving' a deck chair at six in the morning with his towel. OK, I don't to that, but I occupy several deck chairs during the day. Which annoys some of my fellow sunbathers, but hey - I've got the nicest tan!

And here's one trick I learnt in my recent holiday, which might be useful if you're travelling with children and you'd like some peace - teach them how to snorkle!

…part two will follow in due time.

No comments: