Monday, January 19, 2009

Me and my calendar

New year, new calendar. Already in November last year, I bought a new calendar. As I love Moleskines, I have bought a daily planner again. A red one this time (you know I love red stuff, right?).

Thing is - I never use it. At least not as a calendar. I don't enter any meetings or calls - they're in my Outlook calender and on my BlackBerry, and I don't want to be reminded of them outside of the office (and they would spoil my lovely, sophisticated red Moleskine). As for any bigger things such as trade fairs, pitches, etc, I have those in my head.

I also hardly pencil in private stuff such as doctor's appointments, birthdays, holidays, as I remember them, too.

I remember when I was still in school, we had those diaries for our homework. Mine has always been filled with little drawings, poems, Garfield comics pasted in, messages from friends, but never any homework, for the same reason. I remembered it (which doesn't mean I did it, though), and it would have just spoiled the book.

Seems I never really got rid of the habit - only today, the Garfields would be Dilberts. I still use it for any kinds of notes, mostly very personal, and stuff I want out of my head and on paper, where I can deal with it better. So, by the end of the year, I have a book that I'm guarding cautiously - because of all the personal stuff that goes in there. But there are no appointments, addresses, stuff you would expect in there

Now you might say, why don't I just buy a normal notebook? It's not working. I need this calendar. It's just a good thing they have lots of paper for all my non-calendar entry stuff.

No comments: